Over half a millennium ago, the city of Lo-Monthang was founded near Mount Kailash, in Tibet. It was a city built with white sand and Guru Padma Sambava prophesized that this place was to become a center of religious worship.
Across a brook, near a fort ‘Kha-Choe’ lies a hill of white rock where the illustrious spirituals scholars Ngorchen  Kunga Sangpo and  established in 1367 AD, (the Dragkar Thegchen ling Gonpa), the forerunner of today’s lo-Monthang’s  Chode Gonpa , within the Gonpa a monastic school.
During the three year term as Ngorchen Kunga Sanpo preached tantric and sutra philosophy. He also ordained more than one thousand novices. He made far reaching positive changes for the service of monk and brought immeasurable progress to the spiritual world. The monastery was well known and had a prestigious place in the world of Tibetan Buddhism.
Following a devastating earthquake and flood which caused the destruction of Dragkar Thegchen ling, the monastery and its possessions where move to an old village called Surug in the eastern part of the kingdom of Lo-Monthang.
However Surug proved to be an inauspicious location and again calamity struck in the form of fire and other natural disasters which destroyed the village. The village was subsequently remained  ‘Chop Rang’ after the destroyer and remains so  named today.
In 1710 AD, Choegyal Ahang Tsewang Phuntsok established, in the name of Dragkar Thegchen Ling, the Gonpa within the walled city of  Lo-Monthang.
The Gonpa remains today adjacent to the Chode Gonpa and the Shree Mahakaruna Sakyapa School Vidyalaya.

Lo Khechen Shapdung Ngawang Trinlay Palbar Rinpoche

H.H. the Sakya Trizin, the supreme head of the Sakya tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, enthroned this young Rinpoche, the younger son of Gyalchung Jigme La, as the descendent of the matchless and renowned scholar Lobo Khenchen Sonam Lhundrub.

Video Gallery